With the forecast of more snow on the way it makes me want to make a warm cozy soup! This soup is full of flavor and textures.
- 4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package frozen corn (about 14 oz)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of half and half or heavy whipping cream (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- corn tortillas
- cooking spray
Boil the chicken breast for about 20 minutes and chop or shred the meat.
Add all other ingredients in a large pot including the chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes so the flavor have time to marry.
I add a few topping to our soup but it is totally optional:
I took tortilla’s and brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled a little garlic salt on them and broiled them for 2 minutes in the oven. It gave the dish a fun look because they puff up! Spray your pan so they don’t stick. And watch them carefully. I burned the first pan of tortillas.
Enjoy this delicious, easy and fun meal! Happy cooking!!!