I am really excited about week 3! This week we are going to do Asian Shrimp Pasta, Beef and Potatoes, Prosciutto Lasagna and Parmesan Chicken!!! They are all very favorable!
In the recipes, the Beef and Potatoes has to be marinated over night. I realized that the meat had to marinate over night in the Bordeaux wine a little late. I had to play “Chopped” in my kitchen to come up with dinner that night. In my basket I had peppers, onions, chicken and corn tortillas. It was a Mexican night!
Asian Shrimp with Noodles
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 pound shrimp
- 2 cups/16 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, snow peas, carrots and onions in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.I add the snow peas last so they stay a little more crisp. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp is pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and cayenne. Drain pasta. Add pasta and soy sauce mixture to skillet and toss to coat. Heat through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with a salad and ginger dressing.
French Beef & Potatoes
- 3 lb stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (750-ml) bottle Cote du Rhone [I used Bordeaux and it was fine]
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 orange, washed well and cut into 8 wedges (I peeled my orange)
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- olive oil
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 3 1/2 oz. pitted black olives
- Season meat with salt and pepper on all sides. Place meat in a big bowl with wine, thyme, bay leaves, carrots, orange, onion, and garlic. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 12 hours, and preferably 24 hours.
- Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Remove the meat from the marinade and brown the pieces in the oil on all sides. Pour the marinade (including the oranges, bay leaves, etc.) over the meat and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, skimming any foam from the surface. Lower the heat to a simmer, stir in the tomato paste, and add 4 1/2 c. water. Cover, and let stew on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 15 minutes before the stew is ready, add the pitted olives. Let cook for 15 minutes on medium heat without the lid to thicken the stew.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Place cubed potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water, salt liberally, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, skimming starch foam from top occasionally and checking to keep from boiling over – lower heat if necessary. Drain potatoes and place in a blender.
Return saucepan to heat, lower heat to low, and add garlic and heavy cream. Heat until garlic is fragrant and cream begins to simmer, then add to blender. Blend until potatoes are a totally smooth puree. Add water or skim milk as necessary to even out texture.
Serve with bread.
Parmesan Chicken Bake
6 chicken breasts
1 C light mayonnaise or Greek yogurt (I have done 1/2 of each as well)
1/2 c fresh Parmesan cheese, plus more for the top
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray the inside of a 9×13 glass pan. Lay the chicken inside the pan.
2. Mix together the remaining ingredients and spread evenly over each piece of chicken, being sure to cover all the exposed raw meat (so it doesn’t dry out.) Sprinkle on a bit more fresh Parmesan over all the chicken.
3. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. This dish is even better the next day, so just reheat in the microwave!
Serve with a asparagus and salad.
Recipe for Asparagus:
1 bunch of asparagus
Cut ends of asparagus and wash. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bake at 350 for 5 to 8 minutes. Depending on thickness of asparagus.
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- vegetable oil or vegetable oil spray
- 8 oz shaved prosciutto
- 6 cups raw spinach
- 2 cups ricotta
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella
- 8 cups marinara
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta as directed on box. Spray or coat an 9×13-inch Pyrex pan with oil. Cover bottom of pan with marinara. Layer 3 pasta sheets in bottom of pan. Top sheets with marinara, prosciutto, spinach, ricotta and a handful of mozzarella. Repeat method for three more layers. On the final layer, cover the pasta sheets completely with marinara, and finish with mozzarella. Wrap the dish with foil, and bake immediately (or freeze for later use). Bake, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven, and discard the foil. Return to oven for 15 minutes, cooking until cheese is golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Serve immediately with salad and bread.
1 16 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
1 8 oz fresh snow peas
1 bunch green onions
2 garlic bulbs
1 large onion
6-8 russet potatoes
6 cups raw spinach
2 tomatoes for salads and whatever else you’d like
Boxed or Canned
2 jars marinara sauce – enough for 8 cups
olive oil ( you may have from previous weeks)
angle hair pasta
16 oz can of tomato paste
3.5 oz can of black olives
Spices – Sometimes you can buy spices from the bulk section and only buy what you need like at Earthfare
2 bay leaves
1 lb shrimp – peeled and cleaned
3 lbs stew beef
6 chicken breast
8 oz prosciutto – shaved or sliced thin
2 sticks butter
small size heavy cream
1 container of Greek yogurt
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups ricotta cheese
5 cup mozzarella cheese
1 bottle Bordeaux Wine – This is a combination of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon
bread for Prosciutto Lasagna and Beef and Potatoes
I hope you enjoy making these meals as much as I did!
All great change in America begins at the dinner table. ~ Ronald Regan